Friday, March 25, 2011

Classmate Critiques

By Annie Loughridge
Classmate Critiques

David
I really like this design overall. It has good movement and rhythm throughout the whole thing. Some design principles to consider to make it even stronger would be hierarchy and negative space. I think that after outgoing, my eyes are equally drawn to athletic and aggressive. Maybe David could change the overall value of aggressive and make it a bit lighter so it wasn't so similar to athletic. Also, there may be a little too much negative space in the bottom right corner making my eyes get lost. But other than that I think this is a great design! I love the repetition of the negative space shapes throughout the whole thing and how he worked with angles of words.
I think, of the 5 words, I would change aggressive because it doesn't really come off as "aggressive" to me. He could do this by maybe just simply changing the font. I like what he's already done with the capitalization of certain letters to emphasize the meaning of the word.

Devin
I think this design is really good overall and it is very creative. I love how Devin put creative is in the background, negative space of the whole thing. The design principles he could maybe consider more so to make it even better would be hierarchy and movement. I think the words funny and reliable are are too similar in size and value so its hard to tell, as a viewer, which one is supposed to be more important in the design. Devin could fix this by just slightly changing the size of one of the words, like making reliable a little bit smaller. If he did that I think the principle of movement would also be more evident as well because then my eyes would have an easier time moving throughout the design.

I think he already did a great job making each word express the meaning behind it. Of all the words, I think reliable could use some work so then it would convey the meaning of the word even more. He could do this by manipulating the placement of the last "able" of the word. If they were a little more connected to the rest of the word then the word would look like it was reliable in and of itself. Other than that I think he really did an awesome job with making the words look like what they mean.

Mike M
Overall, I think this is a great design with a lot of potential. The design principles that could be implemented even more to add to the design as a whole are focal point( hierarchy) and unity. I like how Mike used a variety of different values but I am not really sure where to look after looking at the "er" in pitcher. He could change this by adjusting the sizes and values of the different words according to what word is most important to least important. Also, I think there could be more of a unifying effect in the design. Each word is equally strong and a good design, but he could make them all work together more I think. I do like how he overlapped letters in words like how he did with the "er" in both pitcher and perseverance. I really liked what he did with the word perseverance. Its cool how it strted off in the cracked font but then changed to a more stable "persevering" font at the end. Of all the words that he could change to reflect the meaning more so I think he could work on "happy" more. I like what Mike did with arching the word but maybe he could alter the placement of the individual letters in relation to each other to make it look even happier.

Bobby K
This design is very interesting and creative. I like it a lot but I think Bobby could implement the design principle hierarchy just a little but more. Though I really like how the focal point is the & in sick and tired, after that my eyes weren't really sure where to go. Sick, confused and stressed are all very strong by themselves so its hard to tell which one was supposed to be most important. He could fix this by just changing the value of sick in his black and white design and the scale of confused. I think his color design really emphasizes the meaning of the words more so than the black and white. Bobby does a great job communicating the meaning of the word by how it looks in the design. All of the words really look like what the word means and I honestly don't think there is much more he could do in that sense. Overall, I think this is a great design!
Greg

I really like this design and I think Greg did a great job with the design principles of rhythm and movement. To make it even better, I think Greg could work on changing the value and size of certain words so that artistic, athletic and candid weren't competing for hierarchy as much. Changing the hierarchy and making the whole thing have clearer focal points would really help make the design flow even more than it already does. I think that the words candid and artistic really work well in representing the meaning of the word itself. Of the words that could use more work in that way, I think athletic could look more like what the word means. He could help make that work more by maybe changing the font and also the size of certain letters to make them look literally athletic. I like how he worked with the word loud by making the O and U a lot bigger so it looked like the word was yelling or something. All in all I think Greg did a great job with his design and I like it a lot!

Annie Loughridge

1 comment: